Residential Treatment for Attachment Disorder
Attachment disorder normally develops in childhood. But if left untreated, it can be disruptive and disabling throughout a person’s life. Women with attachment disorder will experience persistent problems in relationships, which can cause stress and anxiety and make peace of mind elusive. At Helix, residential treatment for attachment disorder can help women gain freedom and independence from troubling symptoms associated with this condition.
Attachment style describes how people make social and interpersonal connections and create relationships with others. Emotions and behaviors demonstrate the relative stability of a person’s attachment style, which can be healthy, dysfunctional, or somewhere in between.
Human beings form their attachment styles based largely on their experiences with parents and other caregivers. Affectionate and attentive parenting is a fundamental aspect of good mental health in children. Being raised with love and consistent emotional support creates a sense of trust in others, which is essential to the formation of quality relationships later in life.
But sometimes, attachment styles are forged in an environment where parenting is hostile, abusive, inattentive, or veers back and forth from affectionate to overly critical. In these situations, relationships that should be compassionate, supportive, and reassuring are instead a source of stress and anxiety, causing low self-esteem and uncertainty about the intentions of others. These traumatic exposures leave deep scars that won’t heal easily.
Attachment disorder is one possible result of these life experiences. This condition is only officially diagnosed in childhood, but will continue into adulthood if it is neither acknowledged nor treated.
It is never too late to recover from attachment disorder. With an accurate diagnosis and compassionate, evidence-based, carefully targeted treatment, you can move past your attachment issues.
Treatment for Attachment Disorder at Helix
Attachment disorder is a predictable outcome of exposure to neglectful, abusive, or chronically inconsistent parenting. Traumatic experiences as an adult can reinforce attachment disorder, especially if the trauma occurs in the context of an intimate relationship.
While attachment disorder is only officially diagnosed in children, its presence in adults can be detected through the manifestation of a range of typical symptoms. They can include:
- Avoidance and fear of interpersonal conflicts
- An inability to manage conflicts when they arise
- Impulsive behavior related to poor emotional control
- Discomfort in expressing love or other positive emotions
- Argumentative behavior, or taking other actions that sabotage relationships
- Lack of empathy, struggling to understand the feelings of others
- Hyper-vigilance in pubic or in social situations
- Persistent feelings of helplessness and vulnerability
- A strong tendency to develop compulsions
- Resorting to manipulative behavior to control others
- Frequent bouts of depression
- Experiencing stress and anxiety that leads to isolation and social withdrawal
A host of life difficulties and mental health issues can arise from untreated attachment disorder. But this condition doesn’t have to control your choices and behavior anymore if you’re willing to make the effort to change. At Helix, you’ll learn to first cope with and eventually overcome the impact of your exposure to childhood trauma, giving you hope for a more rewarding and happier life.
Why Choose Helix Treatment Centers for Attachment Disorder Treatment?
Women with attachment disorder struggle to form and maintain safe and fulfilling relationships. Their experiences and interactions with parents, siblings, partners, friends, and even coworkers are often damaged by the attitudes and behaviors closely associated with attachment disorder, which can become permanent if there is no intervention.
Our highly skilled, world-class treatment professionals at Helix have extensive experience treating women with attachment issues. In close consultation with you, they will create a comprehensive recovery plan that gives you access to healing methodologies that really work and have helped many other women change their lives.
Peer contacts at Helix will also contribute to your recovery. The relationships you form with other women facing similar situations will encourage you, motivate you, and inspire you to push through the most challenging parts of treatment, as you face your past with openness, honesty, and courage.
At Helix, your personalized treatment plan for attachment disorder will include a mixture of effective therapies. The list of possible options includes:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Through evidence-based CBT psychotherapy, women with adult attachment disorder can learn to how to resist the temptation to engage in self-destructive behavior, and they will also learn how to eliminate self-sabotaging thinking patterns.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). The techniques learned in DBT can help you control your emotional responses to stress, conflict, or experiences that have previously triggered the onset of your attachment disorder symptoms.
- Family and/or Couples Therapy. Mental health treatment programs often involve family members in the healing process, and this can be especially productive and helpful when attachment disorder has impacted your relationships with loved ones.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). EMDR is a practical form of therapy specifically designed to help reduce the impact of traumatic memories on thinking and behavior.
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT). Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy will assist your efforts to identify, deconstruct, and disempower the ways of thinking that have helped keep you attached to your childhood traumas.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). With ACT, the goal is personal transcendence through greater self-acceptance, which can help you respond more constructively and with more restraint when faced with situations that might cause stress, anxiety, or emotional discomfort.
- Holistic Mind-Body Therapies. When you’re seeking to restore your innate capacities to manage difficult and stressful situations, holistic healing therapies like biofeedback, art therapy, and equine therapy can be highly effective, both during treatment and in the months and years to come.
Women with a history of attachment disorder often have co-occurring mental health conditions that require additional intervention. Gender-specific recovery plans at Helix are multilayered and precisely structured to make sure all symptoms causing distress are identified and compassionately addressed.
What to Expect the First Day
Deciding to get help for attachment disorder is a huge step. To help make the first day a little less stressful, it is useful to know what will happen.
Our caring staff will help you to settle in at your own pace. When you arrive at Helix, you will have plenty of time to unpack in your room, decompress, and explore our facility and grounds. Through a tour, you will get to know the residence and meet the other women. Everyone at Helix understands your concerns and sensitivity, and will do their best from the first moment you enter the facility to make sure you feel safe, comfortable, and welcome.
At the beginning of your stay, you’ll undergo a thorough diagnostic assessment. At this time, you’ll discuss your personal and medical history in detail, so a comprehensive diagnosis can be provided. Your treatment plan will be created from the information obtained during this process, guaranteeing that your attachment issues and any other mental or behavioral health difficulties you’ve experienced will be addressed.
At Helix, you’ll find yourself immersed in a supportive and caring atmosphere. Gender-specific treatment delivered with kindness and compassion is the Helix trademark, and your exposure to this healing-centered environment will empower and encourage your best efforts as you strive for wellness of the mind, body, and spirit.
Begin Your Recovery Journey.877-322-1116
Your Helix Treatment Centers Experience
Helix is a small, quiet, restful facility with just six beds available for clients. This helps create an intimate, warmly collegial healing space, where everyone works closely together in a cooperative wellness project. Located in the lovely Mt. Helix neighborhood, with meticulously landscaped grounds and well-furnished and designed common spaces, our residence offers an oasis of peacefulness that will support your recovery from the effects of attachment disorder.
Your time at Helix will be devoted to your recovery, in all its aspects. You’ll address specific psychological and emotional issues that have prevented you from finding happiness and building a solid social support network. The atmosphere at Helix is embracing and empathic, which will help you unlock the potential for healing you’ve possessed all along.
Lasting Change for a Better Life
Your childhood trauma may have followed you into adulthood, but it doesn’t have to be a lifelong companion. Once your attachment disorder is recognized and diagnosed, your chances of overcoming it will increase dramatically.
Attachment disorder has limited your life choices and made your relationships with other people problematic for far too long. When you come to Helix, you’ll get the customized, personalized care you require to restore your faith in humanity and in yourself, and to renew your hope for the future. Helix can make a profound difference in your life, if you’re truly ready to start over.
Don’t let the effects of attachment disorder control your life. We’re here for you…call us today.