Residential Treatment for Histrionic Personality Disorder
Women with histrionic personality disorder struggle to build satisfying relationships. Their attention-seeking behavior is meant to disguise their underlying lack of self-esteem, which prevents them from finding happiness and peace of mind. By receiving gender-specific residential treatment for histrionic personality disorder at Helix, women with this condition will be able to address its causes and consequences in a safe, compassionate environment that promotes healthy living and personal transformation.
Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is a condition rooted in low self-esteem. Women with HPD have an excessive and persistent need for approval. They frequently engage in behaviors designed to make themselves the center of attention. Their insecurity can manifest as neediness, to an extreme that other people often find off-putting or distracting. Their reactions are often unpredictable, and they may experience a constantly changing array of emotions.
Tragically, behavior that signifies the presence of this mental health disorder is dismissed as selfish, needy, or manipulative. In fact, women who exhibit the symptoms of histrionic personality disorder need intensive therapy, not rejection or criticism.
Helix’s comprehensive treatment program for histrionic personality disorder is evidence-based and solution-oriented. We offer extensive therapeutic services and multifaceted treatment plans in a tranquil setting where our highly credentialed staff and clients work together to promote sustainable health and wellness.
Treatment for Histrionic Personality Disorder at Helix
Histrionic personality disorder is sometimes referred to as a “dramatic” condition. The outward behavior of women who have can seem mercurial and demonstrative. There is nothing hidden about histrionic personality disorder, although most people are unaware of its existence or truly understand the condition.
Women with histrionic personality disorder tend to seem:
- Self-centered and lacking in empathy
- Exaggerated in their verbal responses and body language
- Moody and unpredictable, friendly one moment and distant or hostile the next
- Constantly hunting for praise or approval
- Transparently insincere, even though their social skills are relatively well-developed
- Extremely sensitive to criticism, whether real, implied, or imagined
- Prone to creating drama, especially when they feel ignored, rejected, or judged
- Impulsive in ways that may get them into trouble or into uncomfortable situations
Women with HPD lack trust in others and themselves. Even as they try to manipulate others to get what they want, on the inside they are constantly stressed and fearful. Their HPD makes them miserable, and if they don’t get help their mental anguish will only get worse over time.
Histrionic personality disorder can be a difficult condition to diagnose and treat. But at Helix Treatment Centers, you’ll work exclusively with empathic, experienced therapists who can show you how your distorted self-image has led you astray, and gently guide you and assist you as you strive to change your perspective, improve your behavior, and make better lifestyle choices.
Why Choose Helix Treatment Centers for Histrionic Personality Disorder Treatment?
Women with histrionic personality disorder may develop a range of strategies for getting the attention they seek. But the satisfaction they experience is usually fleeting. Their relations with other people are generally short-lived, unfulfilling, and fraught with conflict.
Deep inside they fear rejection. Unfortunately, their self-centered behavior, which is really just a defense mechanism, inevitably brings on rejection. This only worsens their self-esteem issues and keeps them trapped in a self-sabotaging cycle.
At Helix, we can help you plan and execute your escape from HPD. Under our care, you’ll participate in individual, group, and family therapy sessions on a regular basis. In therapy, you’ll have a chance to explore your personal history and background as you begin to address the core issues that influenced (negatively) the development of your personality.
Helix relies on evidence-based therapies and time-tested alternative/complementary healing practices to treat the symptoms of histrionic personality disorder. Your comprehensive treatment plan will include a mixture of these healing methodologies, including at least some of the following:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT is effective in treating personality disorders and is used extensively in individual therapy sessions. CBT shows you how to alter your thoughts to remove negative assumptions, which interferes with your relationships with people. Little by little, CBT can help improve your outlook and the quality of your social interactions.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). An offshoot of CBT, DBT concentrates on identifying and changing the emotional responses that keep you trapped in unproductive thinking and behavioral patterns. The techniques used in DBT can put you on a more constructive path, where your emotions are no longer leading you astray.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). As a practical technique for managing traumatic memories and reducing their influence, EMDR therapy can be ideal for women whose HPD has its roots in exposure to abuse or neglect. EMDR can be especially helpful for confronting trauma that has remained hidden and unexamined for too long.
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT). REBT therapy uses logic and reasoning to examine counterproductive thinking patterns. Once you learn to see your HPD for what it truly is, you’ll be better prepared to manage it consciously and with a critical eye on its distortions.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). Women with HPD must learn to accept themselves before they move on, and ACT can show them how to do so. In recovery, self-acceptance is the first step to transcendence, and HPD will lose its power to control your behavior once you can acknowledge its presence without self-recrimination.
- Family therapy. Family therapy sessions can be extremely helpful for women with histrionic personality disorder. By talking about your situation and past behavior openly and honestly, you can recruit your loved ones to the cause of your recovery.
- Holistic Mind-Body Therapies. Women with HPD often experience excessive stress and anxiety. Holistic healing methodologies like arts and music therapy, acupuncture, biofeedback, and equine therapy can help you manage stress that might otherwise leave you vulnerable to your histrionic personality tendencies.
Diagnostic procedures will determine if other mental or behavioral disorders are present. Histrionic personality disorder is a risk factor for several other mental health conditions, including anxiety disorders, depression, substance use disorders, and other personality disorders. Your customized recovery plan at Helix will include treatment services for any additional conditions that may be uncovered, allowing you to achieve a more sustainable and comprehensive recovery.
Call for a Free Confidential Assessment.877-322-1116
What to Expect the First Day
When you come to Helix for treatment, you may feel nervous and vulnerable. But from the very first day, you’ll be accepted and welcomed by Helix personnel and your fellow residents.
The admissions process should be painless and quick. You’ll be ably assisted by one of our intake specialists, who can help you with your paperwork and answer any and all questions you might have about admissions and your time in treatment.
Next, you’ll check into your room, so you have the chance to unpack and settle in. A tour of the facility will follow, during which you’ll be able to speak to staff and residents. Everyone will do their best to make you feel comfortable and relaxed, which you should find gratifying and motivating. Helix is like a small, intimate community where each person’s contributions are valued and validated.
To make sure you have a thorough and accurate diagnosis, you’ll be fully evaluated by our staff. Testing will reveal the full extent of your mental and behavioral health challenges, forming the basis for your comprehensive treatment plan.
Expert recovery services delivered with empathy and respect: this is the Helix approach to wellness. We can show you how to grow beyond your histrionic personality disorder, so you can embrace all the wonderful opportunities life has to offer.
Your Helix Treatment Centers Experience
With our compassionate methods and gender-specific focus, Helix Treatment Centers is an oasis of calm that can act as a refuge during your hour of greatest need. Located in the serene Mt. Helix neighborhood in the hills of sunny San Diego, our residence offers an intimate, comfortable atmosphere where women can share their healing experiences and support each other as they aspire to sustainable recovery.
When you come to Helix for treatment, you’ll have access to more than excellent medical services. As you rest and recharge, you’ll relax in a quiet, comfortable room, spend time reading, relaxing or socializing in bright and airy common spaces, and bask in the regenerative power of nature in our beautifully designed and landscaped grounds. Your interactions with peers and healing professionals alike will be positive, constructive, encouraging and non-judgmental, giving you the vital moral support you need to confront your HPD without hesitation or compromise.
Lasting Change for a Better Life
If you have histrionic personality disorder, its effect on your life has undoubtedly been profound. The good news is that your HPD is highly amenable to treatment, no matter how long it took you to receive an accurate diagnosis.
Treating personality disorders isn’t easy. But with skilled and experienced therapists, a solid support network of friends, family members and peers, and a high level of motivation, you can bring your HPD under control. You have the power to overcome the most destructive aspects of your disorder, under the care of the expert healers with a long track record of success.
Surrounded by people who really care about you and want the best for you, at Helix you’ll be able to create a future that is no longer dominated by your histrionic personality disorder. A better way of thinking and living is within your grasp, if you’re ready to take the initiative and ask for help.
Don’t let the effects of postpartum depression control your life. We’re here for you…call us today.