Residential Treatment for Relational Disorder
Relational disorder emerges from the dynamics of unproductive relationships.Those who experience its symptoms often rely on couples, family, or marital therapy to address the problem, but women who’ve been diagnosed with relational disorder can also benefit from intensive individualized therapy in a calm, peaceful environment. At Helix, we provide residential treatment for relational disorder in a gender-specific environment where women can truly focus their treatment and develop the skills they need to improve relationships and manage the symptoms of their relational disorder and any other co-occurring mental health conditions.
When a close relationship is plagued by conflict, stress, and disappointment, both individuals may contribute to the dysfunction. If the problems cannot be traced to the actions of one person, but emerge from the specific dynamics of interpersonal actions, the trouble might be caused by a condition known as relational disorder.
Since relational disorder is a mutual diagnosis, couples or family therapy is generally recommended. This gives each person a chance to express themselves, and helps put the relationship itself in the spotlight.
Nevertheless, women who find themselves in these types of relationships can gain even more insight and perspective if they seek treatment on an individual basis. The gender-specific residential treatment program for relational disorder at Helix is precisely crafted to deliver evidence-based treatment services, which can help women identify and transcend the issues that have kept them trapped in mutually unsatisfying relationships.
Treatment for Relational Disorder at Helix
In some instances, persistent problems in relationships may be caused by one person. If a woman is being physically, sexually, or emotionally abused by a partner or parent, it would not be appropriate to diagnose relational disorder. This is an emergency situation where one person is the victim and the other the victimizer.
But things are not always so clear cut. Well-intentioned people can find themselves immersed in turbulent relationships that cause damage to both parties, with neither being fully to blame nor having any idea of how to turn things around.
In these circumstances, relational disorder may be the proper diagnosis. Treatment should address the underlying patterns of thinking, reacting, and behaving that are making each person miserable and possibly causing other physical, behavioral, or emotional health difficulties.
Relational disorder can be recognized by a menu of distinctive symptoms, which may include:
- Recurring conflicts or arguments, which cause stress for each individual
- Breakdowns in communication, leading to anger or withdrawal
- Frequent criticism of each person by the other, often based on unrealistic expectations
- Isolation and avoidance, in anticipation of conflict when the two people come together
- Frequent disagreements over apparently trivial developments or concerns
- The persistence of specific issues that never seem to be addressed or resolved
- Overprotective or controlling behavior, by one or both individuals
- Chronically neglectful behavior, by one or both individuals
- Insomnia, anxiety, depression, irritability, and other symptoms of emotional distress
- A lack of trust in each other and in the relationship
Relational disorder puts tremendous stress on the relationship, which can cause enormous damage to those trapped in its web.
Even though relational disorder is a shared problem, women ensnared in relationships with these toxic elements do need to worry about themselves, as individuals. The treatment program for relational disorder at Helix is compassionate, nurturing, and immersive, and is designed to help women with relational disorder heal the wounds that have opened in their hearts and souls.
Why Choose Helix Treatment Centers for Relational Disorder Treatment?
Couples or family therapy, undertaken on an outpatient basis, remains important in treating relational disorder. But it may not be enough if you don’t take care of yourself, in an environment where your recovery and long-term wellness are the primary focus.
Helix offers a tranquil, cooperative atmosphere where everyone shares in the responsibility of making recovery a positive and all-encompassing experience. Your relational disorder will be specifically targeted, along with any co-occurring mental health conditions that have been diagnosed. But as you interact with compassionate, caring treatment professionals, and form mutually beneficial and supportive relationships with other women who’ve come to Helix for help, you’ll gradually find a peace of mind and clarity of purpose that may have eluded you in the past.
The relational disorder treatment plan at Helix will incorporate a range of evidence-based healing strategies. Your healing plan will be carefully customized to meet your personal and medical needs, and will likely include at least some of these time-tested therapies:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). The thinking and behavioral habits that help foster chronic relationship problems are amenable to alteration, and CBT is one of the best therapies for changing or eliminating non-productive thoughts and actions.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). As a supplement to CBT, DBT can achieve excellent results by focusing on the emotional factors involved in your struggles with relational disorder, which if left unaddressed can render your attempts at behavior modification ineffective.
- Family Therapy. Therapeutic sessions that involve both halves of a relationship that has turned dysfunctional will generally be included in your Helix treatment plan for relational disorder, and other family members affected by the unpleasant aspects of the relationship may participate in family therapy sessions as well.
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT). In REBT therapy, you will learn how to logically analyze your own thoughts and actions, which can reduce the incidence of self-destructive choices and thinking patterns.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). When you undergo ACT therapy, you’ll learn to accept yourself as you are, which can make you less defensive and less likely to say or do hurtful things without thinking them through first.
- Holistic Mind-Body Therapies. Practical therapies that promote stress control and greater self-awareness, such as equine therapy, biofeedback, and arts therapy, are good for health in general and can help you transcend self-sabotaging behavioral patterns.
Begin Your Recovery Journey.877-322-1116
What to Expect the First Day
Your journey to wellness will begin on your first day at Helix. When you arrive at the facility, you’ll instantly be welcomed into the Helix family, and its warm embrace will make you feel comfortable, at home, and at peace with your decision to seek help individually for your relational disorder issues.
The admissions process will be handled rapidly and smoothly. Our team will be available to assist you with these procedures and address any uncertainties you may have. From the beginning, every effort will be made to make you feel comfortable and welcome, which is essential if recovery is to occur.
After admissions is complete, you’ll check into your room and then tour the facilities when you’re ready. You’ll explore our luxury residence inside and out, meet with staff and residents, and learn more about the Helix approach to healing. You’ll notice immediately how friendly and accommodating everyone is, and your immersion in this accepting atmosphere will help motivate and encourage you as you confront the challenges that lie ahead.
Your Helix Treatment Centers Experience
After facing the turbulence brought into your life by a chronically dysfunctional relationship, a few weeks spent at Helix can be truly life-altering. Located in the serene Mt. Helix neighborhood in beautiful San Diego, Helix Treatment Centers offers an intimate, caring, and intensive recovery experience that will help replenish your depleted spirit and refresh your body and mind.
Life at Helix is comfortable, relaxing, and convenient. Some of the featured amenities include a fully stocked gym, an outdoor garden surrounded by trees and other foliage, delicious gourmet meals, and attractive, well-furnished spaces where you can study, socialize, read, or relax. Your daily therapy sessions will introduce you to the unique Helix methodology for healing, where evidence-based therapies are applied with empathy and warmth.
At Helix, you’ll learn more about yourself as a woman, even as you gain greater perspective on and enhanced control over your thinking and decision-making. Helix will engage you in a holistic approach to recovery, letting you assume responsibility for your life under the caring guidance of trained experts who can help you rise above your struggles.
Lasting Change for a Better Life
Recovery from relational disorder is an ongoing process that is unlikely to conclude quickly. Spending time in a gender-specific treatment program for relational disorder can contribute greatly to the healing process, as long as you’re prepared to listen, learn, engage, learn, and improve.
There is no magic involved in recovering from relational disorder. It takes hard work, focus, diligence, and openness to considering new insights. Under the gentle and compassionate care of authentic experts at Helix, your life may undergo a transformation that seems magical or miraculous, but in fact you’ll only be reaching the potential for wellness that you possessed all along.
Don’t let the effects of life’s transitions control your life. We’re here for you…call us today.