Residential Treatment for Dissociative Disorders
Dissociative disorders may develop in response to trauma. They cause feelings of unreality and disconnection from self and the world, which can inhibit daily functioning and bring unwanted turmoil and confusion. Fortunately, these frightening conditions can be overcome. Helix Treatment Centers offers residential recovery programs for women diagnosed with dissociative disorders, in a warm, caring environment under the supervision of highly-trained and empathic mental health professionals.
Gender-specific treatment for dissociative disorders at Helix has made a profound difference in the lives of many women. Individual healing plans are customized to meet the unique personal and medical needs of each client, yet offer a potent combination of evidence-based methodologies with proven restorative qualities.
If you come to Helix for help with your dissociative disorder, you can take comfort knowing that other women have successfully completed the transformation you’ll be attempting.
Treatment for Dissociative Disorders at Helix
The three types of dissociative disorders identified by the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) include:
- Depersonalization/derealization disorder. This condition causes a detachment of consciousness and identity from emotions, thoughts, perceptions, and actions. Alternatively, it may be the world and the surrounding environment that seems alien or disconnected.
- Dissociative amnesia. A person with dissociative amnesia will lose memories of traumatic, life-altering events or forget important details about their lives. The amnesia may come and go, but will likely worsen if treatment is not provided.
- Dissociative identity disorder. Formerly known as multiple personality disorder, this relatively rare condition causes a split in a person’s sense of identity. In response to deep distress or painful memories, the mind becomes fractured, allowing for new “personalities” to emerge that have a completely separate existence from the original. Dissociative identity disorder is severe and disabling, and almost always a product of sustained physical, emotional, or sexual abuse.
Co-occurring mental health conditions can complicate treatment protocols, and in fact these conditions are frequently diagnosed in those who have dissociative disorders. Regardless of the nature and complexity of your dissociative disorder, however, its underlying root causes must be identified and engaged, directly and honestly, if your wellness goals are to be met.
Dissociative disorders in women are strongly associated with exposure to serious trauma. If you choose gender-specific treatment at Helix, your lead therapist and the other mental health professionals involved in your care program will address that trauma during daily individual and group therapy sessions. Their approach will be gentle and compassionate, and go at a pace that leaves you feeling safe and comfortable.
There are no medications prescribed specifically for dissociative disorders. But you may be prescribed antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, or antipsychotic drugs as a part of your Helix treatment regimen. Such medications may help you manage symptoms associated with your disorder, or with any co-occurring mood disorders, anxiety disorders, or personality disorders.
Why Choose Helix Treatment Centers for Dissociative Disorder Treatment?
Dissociative disorders are both frightening and disabling. That’s why you need treatment services that are caring and compassionate, yet professionally administered and grounded in the latest research. Our team at Helix specializes in evidenced-based therapies and provide you the compassionate support you need in an environment that is sensitive to the effects your traumatic experiences have had on your life.
Your individualized recovery plan at Helix will likely include a mixture of the following therapies:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Woman with dissociative disorders can benefit from learning to be more mindful and conscious of their negative or self-destructive thinking habits and behavioral patterns. CBT can help you cultivate this awareness and show you how to make changes.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). Dialectical behavior therapy focuses on emotions, their connections to deeper trauma, and the role they’ve played in the development and continuation of your dissociative disorder. The more aware you become of how your emotions are affecting you, the better you’ll be able to manage them.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). Through controlled eye movements, you can reduce the impact of negative thoughts and emotions on your life. EMDR teaches you practical techniques for dealing with trauma and anxiety that will reduce their influence.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT is a type of therapy designed to help you accept your past experiences and the feelings they generate, without feeling overwhelmed by pain, guilt, or any other debilitating emotion. True self-acceptance can play a significant role in your recovery from dissociative disorders.
- Holistic Mind-Body Therapies. Activities that heal the mind, body, and spirit simultaneously, like biofeedback, adventure therapy, arts therapy, sand play therapy, and equine therapy, can help you restore your mental and emotional equilibrium.
Call for a Free Confidential Assessment.877-322-1116
What to Expect Your First Day
At Helix Treatment Centers, you’ll be treated with kindness and understanding, starting from the moment you arrive at our residence. We will be available to help you handle various administrative procedures so your treatment can begin quickly. All of your questions will be answered, and any doubts or uncertainties you have will be cleared up during your first couple of hours at Helix.
After the admissions process has been completed, you’ll be taken to your room so you have a chance to settle in. Shortly thereafter, you’ll have the opportunity to tour facility grounds and get to meet staff members and other clients. During these initial interactions you’ll always be treated with consideration and respect, and welcomed with open arms by everyone as you adjust to the environment and learn more about what to expect during treatment.
Within your first 24 hours at Helix, you’ll be fully evaluated by trained mental health experts who can make a precise diagnosis and finalize your formal treatment plan. This plan will be flexible and adjustable and could change somewhat once treatment begins. But the important thing is that you’ll be ready to start treatment right away, with a well-organized, gender-specific treatment regimen that can help you regain your health and renew your spirit.
Your Helix Treatment Centers Experience
Understanding, Empathetic Clinical Team
Our exceptional staff at Helix will help facilitate your recovery from the devastating effects of your dissociative disorder. You will put in the effort required to heal, and our treatment professionals will assist you every step of the way. They will offer you expertise, empathy, and compassion, as will the women you meet and interact with in the Helix home and during your group therapy sessions.
The community atmosphere at Helix will support and energize your efforts to heal. As you strive for wellness, it will help tremendously knowing that your feelings and experiences will be accepted without recrimination or judgment, that you’ll always be treated with compassion and respect, and that your value as a human being will be affirmed by peers and therapists alike.
Safe, Intimate Residence for Healing
Helix is located in the peaceful, serene Mt. Helix neighborhood in beautiful San Diego. During your time in treatment you’ll have access to attractive on-site amenities, including a well-stocked gym and delicious and nutritious meals prepared on site as well. You’ll live comfortably and have ample opportunities to enjoy the sights and sounds of nature, in a serene environment where recovery is the sole and exclusive focus.
The atmosphere at Helix has been carefully crafted to support your healing process, immersing you in positive energy and giving you a glimpse of what a better and healthier life will look like.
Lasting Change for a Better Life
Women with dissociative disorders often feel like intruders in their own bodies and in their own lives. Their loss of connection to reality is highly disturbing and can be terrifying because of its strangeness. If left untreated, a dissociative disorder can severely inhibit normal functioning at home, at work, in school, or as a parent.
Dissociative disorders steal your time, your health, and your freedom to control your fate and your future. It doesn’t have to be this way, however, if you’re motivated to change and have the assistance of trained mental health professionals and the unconditional support of other women facing the same type of life challenges.
Before coming to Helix, understanding may have been difficult to find. At Helix, it will be available in abundance, along with kindness, compassion, and acceptance. Most importantly, you’ll have access to time-tested healthcare services that can transform your perspective and heal your deepest wounds.
Don’t let the effects of dissociative disorder control your life. We’re here to help. Call us today.