Residential Treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Women who’ve been exposed to trauma often develop the disabling symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This life-altering condition can cause intense suffering and emotional pain, making it impossible for old scars to heal. Our gender-specific residential treatment program at Helix can help you overcome even the most persistent and troubling PTSD symptoms, by providing personalized recovery services in a tranquil atmosphere where wellness of mind, body, and spirit is always the focus.
If you’ve been exposed to physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, natural disaster, warfare, or the sudden loss of a loved one to violence or accident, a strong emotional response may be unavoidable. If those traumatic events stay with you for months or years in the form of flashbacks, vivid nightmares, and uncontrollable memories that cause feelings of intense anxiety, you’ve likely developed post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a painful and disabling mental health condition that will continue to plague you if you don’t seek treatment.
In addition to the flashbacks and nightmares, PTSD in women is characterized by:
- Persistent feelings of anxiety and depression
- Frequent emotional numbness
- Hypervigilance (constantly being on the lookout for potential danger)
- Chronic avoidant behavior (i.e., avoiding places, people, or situations that might trigger memories of the past trauma).
Women are twice as likely to develop PTSD during their lifetimes as men, and unfortunately it usually takes them much longer to be diagnosed with this serious disorder.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment at Helix
Before PTSD can be treated, it must be successfully diagnosed by a clinical practitioner with expertise in the mental health field. Up to 80 percent of people diagnosed with PTSD will have one or more co-occurring mental or behavioral health conditions, and the diagnostic process will screen for those as well.
Some of the conditions that commonly occur in conjunction with PTSD include substance use disorders, anxiety disorders, depression, schizophrenia, and borderline personality disorder. When you come to Helix for assistance, your treatment plan will be personalized to make sure all existing conditions are acknowledged and treated, which is necessary if you are to achieve a sustainable recovery.
World-Class Clinicical Staff
At Helix, our exceptionally trained and compassionate clinical team will craft an individualized recovery program that includes intensive daily therapy in both individual and group formats. To complement therapy, antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication may be prescribed for symptoms of depression, panic, and anxiety, all of which frequently accompany PTSD. You may be introduced to mind-body healing therapies as well, which will complement your efforts to achieve greater self-control and peace of mind.
Helix Treatment Centers offers gender-specific treatment for women because it produces excellent results. Recovery from PTSD requires diligence, determination, and a true commitment to healing, along with expert assistance that guides, motivates, and nurtures, even as it teaches.
Why Choose Helix Treatment Centers for PTSD Treatment?
At Helix, you’ll enjoy innumerable benefits from your participation in gender-specific treatment plans.
During individual therapy sessions, your counselors will encourage you to explore your past honestly and without fear. This will deepen your self-understanding and help you gradually break the hold your traumatic experiences have gained over your life.
There will be a strong practical orientation to your recovery program as well. With trained, expert guidance, you’ll develop strategies and techniques that can help you cope with traumatic memories. You’ll also learn to identify—and defuse—the various triggers that have previously caused you so much emotional distress by forcing you to relive traumatic experiences that should have been left in the past.
Women who share a history of trauma understand the pervasive nature of its impact. This makes group therapy and other peer interactions especially informative and enlightening, and is one of the best reasons to choose gender-specific PTSD recovery services.
Your comprehensive treatment program for PTSD at Helix will include a mixture of time-tested therapeutic modalities, which will be implemented in both group and individual sessions. Some of these options include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Usually considered the gold standard of mental health therapy, CBT is a collaborative treatment method that changes thinking and behavior to eliminate self-destructive patterns.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). A modified version of CBT, dialectical behavior therapy teaches participants how to effectively manage troubling emotions, to defuse their power and influence.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). These techniques are useful for reducing the intensity of responses to stress, anxiety, and traumatic memories, including those associated with PTSD.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). Participants are taught to acknowledge and accept their negative thoughts and feelings, as a way to cultivate mindfulness and exert greater control over their reactions.
- Grief Counseling. This can be especially helpful for women whose PTSD is related to a deeply traumatic personal loss.
- Holistic Mind-Body Therapies. Wellness practices like arts therapy, biofeedback, equine therapy, adventure therapy, and fitness and nutrition programs will add more texture and depth to your efforts to control intense and disabling emotional responses.
Your time in treatment at Helix can be incredibly productive, if you’re ready to embrace wellness as a full-time lifestyle.
What to Expect the First Day
Entering a mental health treatment facility can be a stressful experience. The treatment process is something new, and you may feel intimidated or overwhelmed by the seriousness of the challenge.
Your concerns are normal and understandable. The good news is that everyone at Helix will go to extraordinary lengths to make you feel comfortable and welcome from the moment you arrive at the facility.
- Staff members will answer your questions and help you complete any necessary paperwork involved with the admissions process. Intake procedures will be handled with care and sensitivity, and will be finished as quickly as possible to give you the chance to settle in and adjust to your new environment.
- On the first day, you’ll tour the facilities, meeting other residents and interacting with the skilled experts who will guide you on the road to recovery. In consultation with these world-class mental health professionals, you’ll begin to craft a detailed treatment plan that meets all of your medical needs in all their physical, emotional, and psychological aspects.
- Since Helix is a small facility, with only six beds in total, it won’t take you long to become acquainted with everyone. From the start, you’ll notice the positive energy and the camaraderie that unites professionals and clients alike in a shared mission of healing and recovery.
Your Helix Treatment Centers Experience
The comprehensive Helix regimen of evidence-based therapies and wellness practices, introduced in a serene and nurturing environment, will enable and enrich your efforts to cope with stress and alter your way of responding to life’s inevitable challenges.
Treatment programs for PTSD at Helix emphasize the holistic aspects of sustainable wellness. Healing your wounds means engaging your mind, body, and spirit in the recovery process. This is how you develop the resiliency necessary to thrive and prosper, despite your past encounters with trauma, tragedy, or personal disappointment.
The women’s only post-traumatic stress disorder treatment program at Helix will fortify your efforts to change your ways of thinking, acting, reacting, and interacting. You’ll form constructive partnerships with the members of your recovery team, working hand-in-hand with compassionate experts as you strive to restore your health and renew your quest for personal happiness and fulfillment. As you recover and rejuvenate, you’ll create healing and empowering bonds with other women who’ve had similar life experiences and therefore understand the nature of the obstacles you must surpass.
Call for a Free Confidential Assessment.877-322-1116
Lasting Change for a Better Life
The symptoms of PTSD can be overpowering. If you’ve experienced them for a long time, you may have accepted them as inevitable and untouchable.
But they are neither. At Helix Treatment Centers, comprehensive recovery services are available and they can be your lifeline. Wellness and peace of mind are within your grasp, and under the care of world-class empathic professionals you’ll discover you have the capacity to overcome even the most challenging circumstances. Treatment services administered by trained experts, in a gender-specific setting where unconditional support is provided, can set you up for long-term success.
As you contemplate a future where the symptoms of PTSD no longer control your life, always remember: when you’re inspired by hope and motivated by a desire to change, anything is possible.
Don’t let the effects of PTSD control your life. Let us help…call us today.