Residential Treatment for Trauma Disorders
Trauma of any type can leave a lasting mark, creating fertile ground for the development of a trauma disorder. These conditions keep women who have them trapped in the past, forced to live with terrifying memories and the emotions they elicit. The good news is that trauma disorders respond well to evidence-based mental health treatment services, regardless of their severity. Residential treatment for trauma disorders at Helix can help women who’ve been damaged by trauma heal and grow, until their fear and anxiety subside.
Traumatic experiences can leave lasting emotional scars. Women who’ve been touched by violence, abuse, neglect, or the loss of a loved one may struggle for years to cope with horrifying or haunting memories. Over time, some women who’ve experienced trauma will develop serious mental health conditions known as trauma disorders. These conditions are marked by persistent and uncontrollable anxiety, an inability to manage stress, and frequent nightmares or sudden flashbacks to the trauma that caused the disorder.
Women with trauma disorders may feel lost and alone, with nowhere to turn. But they can move past their trauma and get on with their lives if they get the proper treatment for their debilitating and emotionally painful symptoms.
Helix’s comprehensive residential treatment program for trauma disorders has been a blessing for many women. Our skilled and empathic mental health specialists offer gender-specific recovery services that incorporate a wealth of effective treatment methodologies. Our approach is caring, sensitive, and uplifting, and we have helped many women with trauma issues transcend their troubled pasts and generate real hope for the future.
Trauma Disorders Treatment at Helix
Trauma disorders cast a giant shadow over the lives of women who suffer from their devastating symptoms. Once they develop they are a constant companion and a relentless reminder of traumatizing experiences that cannot be erased.
The symptoms of trauma disorder include a fixation on the past, where illusions were shattered and lives were changed forever. Vivid memories of terrible events remain, causing inescapable stress and feelings of sadness or emptiness. Flashbacks and nightmares are common signs of a trauma disorder, as are vague but persistent feelings of fear that leave women constantly on the alert for possible danger.
Emotional turmoil accompanies trauma disorders, making it difficult to escape their ubiquitous influence. Women with trauma issues are vulnerable to triggering events that can bring bad feelings or memories flooding back in an instant.
The pervasive impact of trauma disorders creates challenges for treatment professionals. Great expertise is required to treat these sensitive conditions, and fortunately for our clients, that is exactly what Helix mental health treatment professionals can provide. If you come to us for assistance, your therapists will design a gender-specific treatment plan that addresses every aspect of your condition. They will apply the very latest in evidence-based recovery services, which will maximize your chances of overcoming your symptoms in their entirety.
Trauma Disorders We Treat
We provide comprehensive, multifaceted treatment services for all trauma disorders. We can help you rise above your mental health challenges, which can be significant if you’re diagnosed with any of these trauma-related conditions:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). PTSD is a chronic condition that causes a person to relive traumatic experiences over and over, through flashbacks, nightmares, and vivid memories. PTSD is a serious mental health condition that can cause debilitating anxiety and depression, and many who develop it will struggle with a wide range of co-occurring emotional and behavioral health disorders.
- Acute Stress Disorder. ASD is related to PTSD but develops much more quickly (usually within the first month) in the aftermath of a traumatic event. ASD may be a forerunner to PTSD in some cases.
- Childhood Trauma. Exposure to child abuse, or the sudden loss of a parent, is a common cause of childhood trauma. The person’s distress is severe and chronic, and will often continue to manifest well into adulthood.
- Dissociative Disorder. Women who’ve been subjected to ongoing or especially severe abuse may develop a dissociative disorder. This condition causes feelings of detachment or disconnection from the self, leaving the person confused about their true identity.
- Adjustment Disorder. After a traumatic event, a woman may continue to experience feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or unbearable tension and stress. When coping mechanisms break down, it could result in the development of an adjustment disorder.
Women with trauma disorders often develop co-occurring mental health conditions. If you have multiple diagnoses when you arrive at Helix, or receive additional diagnoses after being examined by our staff psychiatrist, your personalized treatment program will include a full menu of services that cover each condition.
Your Helix Treatment Centers Experience
Helix occupies a serene and secluded spot in the lovely Mt. Helix neighborhood in San Diego. Perfect weather combined with the beautiful natural surroundings makes Helix an ideal location to recover from ongoing mental health issues.
At Helix, your daily life will be one of comfort and luxury. You’ll enjoy access to spacious, well-furnished living quarters, bright and airy common spaces, and stunning outdoor green areas and gardens. From the moment you arrive, you’ll be immersed in a quiet, friendly environment where women in treatment come together for one common purpose—to overcome significant mental health challenges while embracing a healthier lifestyle.
When you work with our skilled treatment professionals at Helix, you’ll discover quickly that their expertise is matched by their sensitivity and compassion. The Helix experience is nurturing, supportive, and unconditionally encouraging. We’ll do our best to motivate you and inspire you, by offering a wonderful living environment and a chance to work with talented healers who truly have your best interests at heart.
Begin Your Recovery Journey.877-322-1116
Why Choose Helix Treatment Centers for Trauma Disorders Treatment?
Traumatic memories may continue to impact your life indefinitely if you try to repress them instead of resolving them through treatment. The stress and anxiety you feel may be overwhelming, leaving you struggling to function at work, in school, as a parent, and in your personal relationships.
Conditions like PTSD, ASD, childhood trauma, and dissociative disorder will respond to intensive, personalized treatment regimens. Residential treatment for trauma disorder at Helix incorporates a diverse range of proven methods for healing, offered during individual and group therapy sessions that will both challenge and enlighten you. Medication for anxiety or depression may be included in your treatment plan, along with supplementary recovery services such as family therapy and life skills training.
Evidenced-based practices will form the foundation of your comprehensive trauma disorder treatment plan. During your time at Helix, you may be introduced to such highly regarded therapies as:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT can help you reorder your thinking and behavioral patterns to support healthy and productive states of mind and being. CBT can be highly effective against trauma, and many women who’ve learned its powerful techniques have made dramatic changes in the way they relate to the world.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). In DBT, you can learn to manage troubling and chaotic emotions and reduce their effect over your thoughts and actions. DBT functions as a useful complement to CBT and has become a staple of most mental health recovery programs.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT is all about healing through self-acceptance. When you practice this therapy, you’ll learn to let go of negative self-judgments that have held you back and prevented you from resolving your encounters with trauma.
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT). In REBT, you’ll discover how logical thinking and rational reflection can defuse the power of trauma to distort your worldview. Your trauma will gradually lose its influence, as you expose it to analysis and acknowledge its hidden effects.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). The techniques of EMDR are specifically designed to lessen the impact of traumatic memories. By re-contextualizing trauma, you can gain greater control over your emotional states in the future.
- Grief Counseling. You may have been grieving for a loved one you lost, or for yourself if you feel your freedom and happiness were stolen by your traumatic experiences. In these instances, grief counseling can help you come to terms with your trauma and learn to accept what cannot be changed.
- Holistic Mind-Body Therapies. Stress and anxiety plague women with trauma disorders. Holistic therapies like meditation, music and art therapy, biofeedback, and equine therapy are excellent remedies for stress, and as lifetime practices they can continue to deliver enormous benefits.
Our programs at Helix are always inclusive, meaning that every condition diagnosed will be treated in full. If you have anxiety disorders, mood disorders, personality disorders, or other mental health disorders in addition to your trauma disorder, your treatment plan will address them with an equal focus.
How to Help a Loved One Get Treatment for Trauma Disorders
If a woman you care for has had previous experiences with trauma, you should be on the lookout for indications of ongoing distress. They may be easy to detect or more difficult to interpret, but if a trauma disorder has developed they will almost certainly be there.
Women with trauma disorders may have trouble sleeping, show a pattern of avoidance of certain situations or people, react with strong emotions in seemingly non-threatening circumstances, or display signs of chronic anxiety. They may seem perpetually depressed or sad and have difficulty managing their daily affairs.
Should you notice any or all of these symptoms, the time to act is now. You should urge them to seek an evaluation from a mental health professional and be ready to accompany them if they agree to go. If a trauma disorder is diagnosed, you should assist them in finding treatment any way you can, and agree to stand beside them every step of the way as they confront their conditions head-on.
Intensive treatment at a licensed mental health facility like Helix will offer your loved one the best odds of recovery. Once she is admitted, you will be free to visit when you can, and also welcome to participate in family therapy sessions that can offer your loved one important moral support as she strives to recover from her trauma disorder.
Lasting Change for a Better Life
Your exposure to devastating trauma was regrettable and tragic. But your past is something you must accept before you can move on with your life. Trauma disorders like PTSD, ASD, and adjustment disorder are indicators of progress stalled, meaning you’ve been trapped by traumatic experiences and have been unable to find a way to escape their pernicious influence.
At Helix, we can help you reverse course and gain greater control over your emotional reactions and behavior. We do so by offering you access to customized treatment services for your trauma disorder, which will be included in a sweeping, broad-based treatment plan developed by our caring and compassionate recovery experts. Throughout your time in treatment, you’ll be supported by other women who’ve come to our facility to heal, which is a testament to the inclusive nature of the Helix healing community.
Helix treatment plans for trauma disorders are focused on long-term wellness of the mind, body, and spirit. Your experiences here could result in a profound personal transformation, leaving you equipped to manage your emotions more effectively than you ever have before. Trauma is an unwelcome companion, but it doesn’t have to follow you for the rest of your life.
Don’t let the effects of trauma disorders control your life. We’re here for you…call us today.