Our Mental Health Treatment Specialties
Our innovative trauma-informed mental health treatment program for women balances comprehensive evidence-based programming with transformative therapies using somatic approaches to create lasting change, tailored to fit the needs of every client.
Compassionate Care in an Intimate Setting
We help women learn to better cope with the lingering effects of trauma disorders, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and other co-occurring issues in a supportive environment so they can reclaim their lives. Through an integrative combination of clinical, holistic, experiential, and somatic therapies, we treat trauma with a unique approach that nurtures clients on their journey.
Our luxury Joint Commission-accredited facility nestled in the beautiful Mt. Helix neighborhood of San Diego provides a safe and intimate haven where women can heal and grow as they receive expert care and kindness.
Unique Somatic-Based Approach to Trauma Treatment
- Our innovative, somatic-based therapeutic program is designed to address trauma and mood disorders and how they specifically present in women experiencing a variety of issues.
- Clients receive weekly psychiatrist visits, diagnostic assessments, and up to three individual psychotherapy sessions per week.
- Our clinical team are experts in the treatment of trauma disorders for women employing a unique and effective combination of psychiatry, psychotherapy, somatic, and integrative therapies.
Mental Health Disorders We Treat
We treat women suffering from trauma and a wide variety of complex mental health and co-occurring disorders including:
- Trauma Disorders: Post-traumatic stress disorder, acute stress disorder, and childhood trauma.
- Mood Disorders: Depression, bipolar disorder, and complicated grief.
- Anxiety Disorders: Generalized anxiety (GAD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety, and panic disorders.
- Personality Disorders: Borderline personality, dependent personality, and histrionic personality disorder.
- Women’s Issues: Relational issues, attachment disorders, phase of life issues.
- We Also Treat: Nervous breakdown, high-functioning depression, co-occurring disorders.
Intensive Treatment, Rapid Recovery
Intensive trauma-informed therapy is the cornerstone of our treatment model. Our primary treatment modalities include:
Somatic experiencing is an integrative therapy that recognizes how trauma and other issues are expressed both physically and psychologically. It has been proven in studies to be effective for treating PTSD but can also benefit women struggling with a range of painful memories and mental illnesses. By focusing on physical sensations, you will learn how to manage and process trauma.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
CBT will help you become more aware of the negative and inaccurate thoughts and emotions that prevent you from healing. A trained therapist will show you strategies for changing problematic thinking so that you can react more positively to difficult situations, painful memories, and other issues.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
EMDR is used to manage and process traumatic experiences. It is a way of helping the brain heal and reframe trauma. In EMDR, you will be guided to remember your trauma in a safe setting and with a compassionate therapist. Using eye movements, you will begin to remove the mental blocks that have prevented you from healing from those experiences.
Mindfulness involves focusing on the present moment: breathing, physical sensations, thoughts and emotions, and the world around you. It can take the form of therapy but also meditation, deep breathing, yoga, and other practices you can use later to calm and center yourself.
Healthy, balanced relationships are essential for good mental health. Many women come to treatment with relationship difficulties underlying trauma and mental illness. Relational psychotherapy can be one-on-one or with a loved one. It will help you learn and change your negative patterns in relating to other people, how to communicate effectively, and how to enjoy healthier, mutually beneficial relationships.
In addition to these primary treatment modalities, Helix also offers an extensive list of supplementary treatments. These can be used as needed to provide each resident with a unique, individualized experience for healing and wellness:
- Family therapy
- Grief counseling
- DBT skills
- Relapse prevention
- Trauma-sensitive yoga
- Nutritional evaluation
- Equine-assisted therapy
- Art therapy
- Music therapy
- Adventure therapy
- Safe and sound protocol
- Community peer support groups
Together we work toward removing obstacles while creating a foundation of stability, insight, self-awareness, and, ultimately, a greater ability to love and be loved.